November 23rd, 2017

The Latest: Indie Los Angeles theatre Cinefamily to shutter


By The Associated Press on November 14, 2017.

FILE - In this April 28, 2017 file photo, Harvey Weinstein attends the "Reservoir Dogs" 25th anniversary screening during the 2017 Tribeca Film Festival in New York. An unnamed actress has sued Harvey Weinstein for sexual battery over a pair of incidents in which she alleges the film producer forced her into sexual situations in 2015 and 2016. (Photo by Charles Sykes/Invision/AP, File)

LOS ANGELES – The Latest on sexual harassment and abuse allegations against powerful men in the entertainment and media industries (all times local):

5:45 p.m.

The independent movie theatre Cinefamily is closing in the wake of investigations into the sexual misconduct of two of its executives.

Cinefamily’s board of directors said Tuesday that it was shutting down after 10 years of operation due to crippling debt. The decision came after the board said it conducted an exhaustive analysis of the theatre’s reputational and financial status.

The Los Angeles theatre came under scrutiny in August for sexual misconduct allegations against the theatre’s executive director Hadrian Belove and board member Shadie Elnashai, a month prior to the culture shifting Harvey Weinstein revelations. The board suspended activities of the theatre at that point and hired an independent film to investigate the allegations.

The board says that no victims corroborated rape claims, but the investigation did uncover serious concerns and breaches of acceptable behaviour.

Cinefamily had many celebrity supporters and fans including Steven Spielberg, Jeffrey Katzenberg, David Geffen, Brie Larson, Jon Favreau, Sting and James L. Brooks.

___

4:25 p.m.

An unnamed actress has sued Harvey Weinstein for sexual battery over a pair of incidents in which she alleges the film producer forced her into sexual situations in 2015 and 2016.

The lawsuit filed Tuesday in Los Angeles Superior Court seeks unspecified damages. It alleges Weinstein held the actress against her will in 2015 while he masturbated in a Beverly Hills hotel room. The second incident occurred in spring 2016 when the lawsuit claims Weinstein threw the woman on his bed in a hotel room, started performing oral sex on her, then held her down while he masturbated on her.

The suit says the woman was able to break free and flee the room. The woman is identified only as Jane Doe in the court filings, which state she agreed to meet with Weinstein about a part in a television series.

Weinstein’s representative Holly Baird says the producer cannot speak to anonymous allegations but denies all allegations of non-consensual sex.

Beverly Hills police have said they are investigating allegations against Weinstein, but have not provided further details.

___

12 p.m.

NBC News says it has fired Matt Zimmerman, its top talent booker, for “inappropriate conduct” with more than one woman at the network.

Zimmerman used to be in charge of arranging guests for the “Today” show but in 2014 was promoted to vice-president and led the behind-the-scenes unit responsible for such bookings at all NBC News programs.

The network didn’t give any details Tuesday about Zimmerman’s behaviour, only that he violated company policy. The network acted in response to internal complaints.

Messages sent to Zimmerman were not immediately returned Tuesday.

NBC recently fired political contributor Mark Halperin, who had been accused of sexual harassment by several women dating to when he worked at ABC News more than a decade ago.

Share this story:

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.