By Shurtz, Delon on April 21, 2017.
Man accused of killing boy
A preliminary hearing has begun for a Lethbridge man charged with second-degree murder in the death of a nine-month-old baby.
The hearing for Tyler Brian Hogan began Thursday in Lethbridge provincial court and is expected to run five days, although it will be divided into two parts. The first portion is scheduled to conclude Monday, while the remaining portion will have to be rescheduled at a later date.
Court was told the adjournment mid-hearing is necessary because lawyers are still waiting to receive forensic evidence connected with the case.
The hearing, which will determine whether there is enough evidence to warrant a trial, is being tried by Calgary Crown prosecutor and heard by a judge from another jurisdiction to avoid any conflict of interest or perceived prejudice since the accused is the son of a retired Lethbridge provincial court judge. The Crown is expected to call at least 10 witnesses.
Hogan is accused of killing Austin Lucas Wright, who died from blunt force trauma last year. Hogan was granted bail Aug. 31, 2015 on several conditions, including he post $50,000 bail or provide surety of $100,000.
Lethbridge EMS went to a residence in the 600 block of 17 Street North after receiving a report April 28 that a baby boy was in medical distress. The baby was not breathing and in cardiac arrest when paramedics arrived, and was rushed to hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Police allege the baby’s mother had left her boyfriend to care for the baby while she was at work. The child began crying and was assaulted, sustaining extensive, life-threatening injuries.
Police reported the man, who is not the baby’s biological father, initially said the baby had just stopped breathing.
Follow @DShurtzHerald on Twitter
You must be logged in to post a comment.