December 15th, 2017

Stolen truck leads to police chase, grassfire

By Villeneuve, Melissa on August 12, 2017.

Melissa Villeneuve

Lethbridge Herald

An early morning incident with a stolen vehicle has resulted in three arrests and a small grassfire south of Calgary as RCMP from multiple jurisdictions, along with the HAWCS helicopter, were involved in the pursuit which ended near Vulcan.

It began Friday around 2:30 a.m. when Calgary Police notified Okotoks RCMP that a stolen Ford F-350 was seen heading south towards Okotoks.

Officers from the Okotoks and High River detachments located the vehicle, which was being monitored by the HAWCS helicopter, on Hwy 2. A spike belt was deployed which deflated two of the vehicle tires just north of High River.

The vehicle then turned off of Hwy. 2 towards the town of High River where two passengers in the vehicle exited and attempted to hide from police. With assistance from the HAWCS helicopter, RCMP officers were able to locate and arrest a man and woman without incident.

The stolen truck continued into the town of High River, then headed East on Hwy. 23 towards Vulcan RCMP area. A second spike belt was deployed south of Vulcan resulting in the other two tires being deflated.

The driver of the truck continued south and sparks from the rims ignited a fire in the ditch along Hwy. 23 near the village of Champion. The Champion volunteer fire department extinguished the fire.

The stolen truck eventually stopped after it caught fire and was unable to continue on the rims. The driver, a 35-year-old male from Calgary, was arrested without further incident. The driver was found to be on statutory release and has been returned to the custody of Correctional Services Canada. Charges of dangerous operation of a motor vehicle, possession of stolen property and flight from police are pending.

The two passengers who jumped from the vehicle near High River, a 26-year-old female and 25-year-old male both from Calgary, face a charge of possession of stolen property over $5,000. They have been released from custody and are scheduled to appear in Okotoks Provincial Court on Sept. 8.

No names have been released as charges have yet to be sworn.

Follow @MelissaVHerald on Twitter

Share this story:
You have 7 free stories left to read this month. Subscribe Now & get unlimited access

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.