By Mabell, Dave on August 31, 2017.
A “Battle of the Bands” will showcase six southern Alberta groups, during 50th anniversary “Shine On” festival celebrations at the University of Lethbridge.
Six bands have been named as competitors in the no-charge event on Sunday, with cash and a recording package up for grabs.
“Summer festivals always feature outstanding music, and we felt this was a great way to support and give some exposure to great local musical talent,” says Michael Gabriel, president of the university’s alumni association.
“This battle will feature a diverse cross-section of musical styles and promises to be great fun.”
The competition will run from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Community Stadium south of the main campus. The winners will snag a $1,000 cash prize along with a package of professionally produced interviews as well as song recordings and accompanying video, courtesy of Cottonwood Records.
The six bands entered in the event are:
– Awd Fellas x Adequate, playing hip-hop mixed with Adequate’s lyrics, choruses and rhythms;
– Alyssa McQuaid and Coyote Junction, a five-piece band with collectively more than 50 years on the Alberta music scene;
– Nevada Place, five musicians on a variety of instruments who enjoy “twisting” their cover tunes to make them new and entertaining;
– Scotch Whisky Limousine, a guitar-driven rock and roll band with sax and keyboards adding a fresh spin; and
– Youngbloods, a band of brothers who create high-energy pop and punk/rock music, exciting to watch.
“We are excited to support these artists through the Battle of the Bands and can’t wait to work with the winner to help showcase their music in ways friends, family and fans may have never seen it showcased before,” says Cottonwood Records co-founder Clayton Varjassy, also a U of L alumnus.
Cottonwood is an independent record label that aims to connect talented artists with music fans around the world.
Follow @DMabellHerald on Twitter
You must be logged in to post a comment.