February 22nd, 2018

Gas station robber may be sentenced later in month

By Shurtz, Delon on October 13, 2017.

Delon Shurtz

Lethbridge Herald


A Taber woman who’s back in custody after she didn’t show up to be sentenced for robbing a gas station in Lethbridge last year may finally be sentenced later this month.

Dawn Ila Hart made a brief appearance last week in Lethbridge provincial court where her matter was simply adjourned to Oct. 30. Her lawyer told court he intends to resolve the robbery charge, as well as numerous other charges she accumulated after she was released from custody in 2016.

At about 6:21 a.m. June 1, 2016, Hart walked into the London Road Esso in the 700 block of 7 Street South and asked to use the washroom. She was told it was out of order, but instead of leaving, she asked if she could wait for a ride.

While she waited, she purchased a cup of coffee, and when the attendant opened the cash register Hart went around the counter and approached the till. The attendant asked her to leave and attempted to close the till, but Hart thrust her hand into the drawer and the two struggled. Hart managed to push the attendant away, grabbed $105, and fled.

Hart pleaded guilty Nov. 29, 2016 to one count of robbery, but sentencing was adjourned and the judge ordered a pre-sentence report, which provides personal information and background about an accused person to help the judge render a fit sentence. In the meantime, Hart was still out on bail, which she had been granted shortly after her arrest June 17, 2016.

She never showed up for sentencing, however, and she was eventually arrested.

During a hearing in June Hart hoped to be released from custody so she could be with her young son when he had surgery Aug. 4. However, she remained in custody until Aug. 1 when she was released on bail with several conditions, including a promise that she turn herself in and return to court Aug. 11.

“It’s imperative you comply with all the conditions,” the judge told Hart. “Everyone did it for you. We are relying on you, and counting on you to turn yourself in on time.”

When Aug. 11 rolled around and Hart wasn’t in court, another warrant was issued for her arrest, and during her hearing last week she appeared by closed-circuit TV from the Lethbridge Correctional Centre. She didn’t ask to be released again.

Follow @DelonHerald on Twitter

Share this story:
You have 7 free stories left to read this month. Subscribe Now & get unlimited access

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.