By Lethbridge Herald on June 5, 2015.
A 52-year-old father who sexually assaulted his two young daughters was sent to a federal penitentiary Thursday, but it was little consolation for the siblings.
“I hope that you f—’n rot in there,” one of his daughters, now an adult, yelled at him as he was led from a Lethbridge courtroom where Judge Derek Redman sentenced the father to 11 years in prison.
Redman said the man’s heinous offences against his young daughters were planned and deliberate, and demanded a sentence that would denounce his actions and discourage others from committing like offences.
“Children are the most precious gifts parents are given,” Redman said.
The man, who can’t be named to protect the identity of his victims, pleaded guilty last year to three counts of invitation to sexual touching and one count of incest, from incidents between June 2013 and Jan. 2014 in which the man forced his then nine-year-old daughter to have sex and provide sexual favours. During a hearing in September, court was told the man assaulted his daughter “all the time,” and “every single day,” and that the assaults occurred when the girl’s mother was at home and when she was working.
He also assaulted two of his daughter’s friends, one of whom was only seven, in the summer of 2013 by making them touch him inappropriately.
Then last May he pleaded guilty to additional charges of incest and uttering threats to a police officer. The incest charge stems from an incident in 2002 or 2003 in Coaldale at the home of friends where the man, his wife from another marriage and another daughter were visiting friends. When the accused was left alone with his young teenage daughter, he forced her to have sex with him.
During the sentencing hearing Thursday, Redman noted the man, who has previous convictions for sexually assaulting his daughters, brazenly assaulted a daughter even after she reported his crimes to police.
The threats charge stems from an incident in jail when he told a police officer that one day he would get out of jail and there would be “payback.” He also asked the officer if he ever worried about getting a bullet in the head, and then challenged him to a fight.
The man sat quietly facing the judge during the hearing and rarely looked toward family members sitting a few metres away in the gallery. At one point he smiled in their direction when he was bought into the courtroom after a brief adjournment, and his only reaction to his daughter’s outburst at the conclusion of the hearing was to swear back at her.
Crown prosecutor Erin Olsen had suggested a sentence of nine to 11 years, and recommended one at the higher end of the range. Defence lawyer Beverly Broadhurst agreed with the sentence suggested by the Crown, but asked the judge to consider a sentence on the lower end of the range. She suggested even knocking off a year because the man pleaded guilty and he consented to be designated a long-term offender.
Redman noted the man showed some remorse, yet little empathy for the victims, and a psychological assessment indicates his risk of re-offending his high.
In addition to his prison sentence, for which he was given slightly more than two years credit for time already spent in custody, the man will also be subject to a long-term supervision order of 10 years. He will be listed on the Sex Offender Information Registry for 20 years, and he must submit a sample of his DNA for the National DNA Databank. He is also prohibited from possessing weapons for 20 years, and from working anywhere that would put in a position of authority over anyone under the age of 16.
You must be logged in to post a comment.