May 28th, 2017

Head of MMIW inquiry says she understands frustrations over hearing delays


By The Canadian Press on May 19, 2017.

VANCOUVER – The chief commissioner of the national inquiry into missing and murdered indigenous women says there is still hope in the work the commission is doing, despite criticism about delays.

Marion Buller says some people want the commission to go faster and she understands the frustration of those who have been waiting 40 years for answers.

But she says there are others who are telling the commission to be careful so that it doesn’t cause any harm.

Buller says there has been a lot of work done behind the scenes and she still expects to release the commission’s first report in November.

Earlier this week, Indigenous Affairs Minister Carolyn Bennett said she shares the concerns of those family members who are growing ever more anxious about the inquiry.

Bennett was responding to questions about an open letter released Monday by more than 30 advocates, indigenous leaders and family members expressing their misgivings to Buller.

The group, which published its comments on the website of Metis artist Christi Belcourt, said it is aware the commission faces a difficult challenge, but it noted immediate action must be taken to prevent damage and shift the current approach.


Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.