October 17th, 2017

Murder charge dropped against Newfoundland man accused of killing home invader


By The Canadian Press on October 12, 2017.

BOTWOOD, N.L. – A murder charge has been dropped against a Newfoundland man accused of killing a home invader last year.

Gilbert Budgell was charged with second-degree murder after it was alleged he shot one of two masked men who entered his house in April 2016.

The man later died in hospital.

Crown prosecutor Karen O’Reilly says the case – which included a second charge of unlawful possession of a firearm – couldn’t go ahead without satisfactory belief the charges could be proved beyond a reasonable doubt.

Defence lawyer Bob Buckingham says Budgell acted out of fear of the home invaders who arrived wearing masks.

He says his client is distraught about what happened to the shooting victim.

(VOCM)


Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.