April 23rd, 2024

Community

Staying positive in a time of negativity

By DAVE DRISCOLL Palliser School Division on December 2nd, 2020

As the pandemic drags on and our lives continue to be in a state of flux and upheaval, it can be hard to stay positive or find happiness in our lives. The challenges of employment, paying the bills, childcare, school, or the hundreds of other tasks that should be regular are made more complex and ... Read More »

Be the first to comment!

Student wins poetry award

By LETHBRIDGE HERALD on December 1st, 2020

Zara Enayetullah, a student at G.S. Lakie Middle School, has won a Bronze Award for her poetry submission to the 2020 Ocean Awareness Contest, sponsored by Bow Seat Ocean Awareness Programs (Bow Seat). Enayetullah, who was selected from approximately 5,300 entries from around the world, received a $250 cash scholarship. Enayetullah also will be featured ... Read More »

Be the first to comment!

Merging ideas constructively

By Jacob M. Van Zyl on November 28th, 2020

Last of two parts Two heads think better than one, but too many cooks spoil the broth. Somewhere between “one” and “too many” is the right balance. As young pastor, I got the opportunity for further study in psychology. Uncertain what to do, I discussed my options with experienced pastors. They encouraged me to grab ... Read More »

Be the first to comment!

The emperor’s vision

By Austin Fennell on November 27th, 2020

In the days when Augustus was the emperor in Rome and Herod was king in Judea, a group of men walked from the emperor’s palace through the Forum, having asked the emperor if they could build a temple in his honour. Was he not a god worthy of such a building? He gave them no ... Read More »

Be the first to comment!

Memories from the hockey rink

By M. Gordon Hunter on November 27th, 2020

My position is goalie. I started playing indoors at 13. At 15 Saskatoon Aden Bowman won the Saskatchewan Provincial Midget A Championship. At 17 I was an All-Star with Saskatoon Aden Bowman at the Juvenile level. In 1966, my first year of university, I was awarded a Molson Hockey Scholarship. I obtained my Bachelor of ... Read More »

Be the first to comment!

Coal, calcite and cutthroats

By SUBMITTED BY THE SOUTHERN ALBERTA GROUP FOR THE ENVIRONMENT on November 26th, 2020

Calcite build-up on streambeds is an environmental hazard of open-pit mountaintop coal mining proposed in the headwaters of the Oldman River. As with selenium pollution, described in a previous article, water flowing through waste rock accumulated during the coal mining process dissolves calcium carbonate and carries it downstream. Unlike selenium, calcium carbonate is not considered ... Read More »

Be the first to comment!

Information to chew on about plant-based meats

By W. Gifford-Jones, MD and Diana Gifford-Jones on November 26th, 2020

We live at a time of growing choices regarding food substitutes. But how good are these new products when compared with the old staples? Think of margarine versus butter. Or, more recently, plant-based meats versus the real McCoy? Was William Shakespeare right when he wrote, “A substitute shines brightly as a King, until a King ... Read More »

Be the first to comment!

What will become of a handshake?

By MABLE STEWART on November 25th, 2020

While growing up, it was expected of me to acknowledge those who came to our home. I had to excuse myself from whatever I was doing to exchange a greeting, which involved shaking hands. Similarly so, when I would chance upon someone familiar to my family while I was out in the community. According to ... Read More »

Be the first to comment!

Teachers’ wellness helps their students, too

By WILCO TYMENSEN on November 25th, 2020

While COVID has limited teachers’ ability to physically come together with colleagues from other schools, they continue to engage in professional learning and collaborate with other teachers, albeit mostly virtually. Their commitment to life-long learning is in addition to the work they undertake planning for and instructing in today’s pandemic where they have revolving groups ... Read More »

Be the first to comment!

Southminster Church organ marks its 100th anniversary

By TRISH PURKIS on November 24th, 2020

Southminster United Church is a favourite venue for many organ and musical concerts. The church has wonderful acoustics that carry the music clearly to all corners of the sanctuary and the balcony. The organ was built by Casavant Freres in Quebec and was installed in October 1920, a memorial organ dedicated to the memory of ... Read More »

Be the first to comment!

Negotiating disagreements

By Jacob M. Van Zyl on November 21st, 2020

Civilized, open-minded discussion is an essential part of effective problem solving. In contrast, ego-involved defences and attacks not only bedevil meaningful problem solving, but may add new ones such as dysfunctional relationships. Heated debates show that participants have made a choice and are not willing to compromise. When it happens in a family, members start ... Read More »

Be the first to comment!