March 29th, 2024

Community

Antiquity meets high tech

By Gary Boyle THE BACKYARD ASTRONOMER on November 20th, 2020

Over the past decades, we have witnessed and embraced the advancement of technology in cars, TVs, computers and cellphones. The list goes on and on. We have the opportunity to learn anything via reputable websites over the internet as well as YouTube videos. Although technology has changed, the night sky has appeared the same for ... Read More »

Be the first to comment!

What will stamp collectors see next?

By By Walter Kerber on November 20th, 2020

I have seen a lot of odd stamps from countries that take advantage of us collectors to fatten their countries’ coffers. There are lots of ideas from puffy sticker types to 3-D stamps, not that Canada Post hasn’t taken part in that. In this day and with the COVID-19 pandemic, times are tough all over ... Read More »

Be the first to comment!

Beware get-rich-quick con

By SUBMITTED BY THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU on November 20th, 2020

Scammers are taking advantage of people’s get-rich-quick dreams by promoting “money flipping” scams on social media, and the Better Business Bureau (BBB) is seeing dozens of reports each month about these cons. How the Scam Works: You see a photo of a pile of cash on social media. In the caption, the user brags about ... Read More »

Be the first to comment!

Take steps to relieve chronic stress in your life

By W. Gifford-Jones, MD and Diana Gifford-Jones Common-Sense Health on November 19th, 2020

Nothing can be more heart-wrenching than the sudden death of a loved one. The visualization of a wrench tightening on the heart is apt. It can feel that way and the physical harm done from such intense pressure is not good for your health. Isaac Asimov, professor of biochemistry and prolific writer of science fiction, ... Read More »

Be the first to comment!

Lethbridge Interfaith Network works to promote dialogue between faith groups

By SUBMITTED BY THE LETHBRIDGE INTERFAITH NETWORK on November 19th, 2020

Approximately two-thirds of citizens of Lethbridge declare a religious affiliation, with the overwhelming majority of these adherents professing a belief in Christianity. However, there are smaller communities in Lethbridge of Buddhist, Sikh, Hindu, Muslim and those of Indigenous spirituality, to name a few. Over the past years, as the population grows, religious diversity in Lethbridge ... Read More »

Be the first to comment!

Toastmasters winners compete for division title

By LETHBRIDGE HERALD on November 18th, 2020

Skilled speakers who won area speech contests representing local Toastmasters clubs will entertain online audiences while competing in the Table Topics and Humorous Division Speech Contests which continue to the end of November. District 42 Toastmasters, which encompasses 115 Toastmaster clubs in southern Alberta and southern Saskatchewan, is holding six division contests where competitors vie ... Read More »

Be the first to comment!

St. Paul school gets gift of 1,530 books

By LETHBRIDGE HERALD on November 18th, 2020

Annually, St. Paul School in Lethbridge applies for a grant with the Indigo Love of Reading Foundation, whose mandate is to put books in the hands of high-needs children. While the school was not selected for a Literacy Grant this year, as a runnerup with a clear commitment to literacy, St. Paul was selected to ... Read More »

Be the first to comment!

Students be able to count on caring, acceptance at school

By Darren Mazutinec on November 18th, 2020

Early in teaching my career, as I was preparing my Grade 6 classroom one morning, one of my students showed up a little earlier than expected and pulled up a chair beside my desk. This student looked a little tired and sad, and I asked, “Is everything OK?” The student replied, “I didn’t get much ... Read More »

Be the first to comment!

National Philanthropy Day 2020

By Submitted by Association of Fundraising Professionals, Southern Alberta Chapter on November 17th, 2020

National Philanthropy Day is an initiative of the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) Global and is a celebration of philanthropy – giving, volunteering and charitable engagement – that highlights the accomplishments, large and small, that philanthropy – and all those involved in the philanthropic process -makes to our society and our world. The week of ... Read More »

Be the first to comment!