By Nick Kuhl on June 9, 2018.
The case against a mother who was charged last year after authorities discovered multiple injuries on her toddler has been postponed again.
The matter was expected to be resolved Friday in Lethbridge provincial court, but it was adjourned for two weeks after the judge was told the Crown and defence need to “iron out” a few more details.
The woman, who can’t be named under a court-ordered publication ban to protect the identity of the three-year-old child, is charged with assault and failing to provide the necessaries of life. She was set to have her charges resolved last month before they were adjourned to Friday’s hearing. Court was told Crown and defence have a disposition prepared, and the charges may now be resolved June 22.
Police, with the help of Child and Family Services, conducted a welfare check last September and noticed the boy had injuries to his face and neck. An examination at the Chinook Regional Hospital revealed additional injuries, and although the child’s mother said he had fallen, medical staff determined the injuries were not consistent with a fall.
The boy’s stepfather was sentenced in March to 33 months in jail — minus 275 days credit for time spent in pre-disposition custody — after he pleaded guilty to one count of assault causing bodily harm. Court was told the boy had “significant” bruises and lacerations on his head, mouth and buttocks, as well as bruises on his back, feet and legs.
Follow @DelonHerald on Twitter