October 16th, 2018

More witnesses force postponement of fraud case


By Shurtz, Delon on June 14, 2018.

Delon Shurtz

Lethbridge Herald

dshurtz@lethbridgeherald.com

A half-a-million-dollar theft and fraud case scheduled for trial in November has been postponed by nearly a year.

Scott Allen Blanchard, 46, was set to stand trial in November on charges of theft and fraud over $5,000, but this week in Lethbridge Court of Queen’s Bench the trial was rescheduled for two weeks beginning Oct. 7, 2019.

Court was told the Crown has added several additional witnesses to its list, which necessitates moving the trial, and October of next year is the earliest date that accommodates the accused.

Blanchard, who previously elected to be tried by Court of Queen’s Bench judge and jury, will now be tried by judge alone. He was arrested and charged in August 2016 following an investigation that began two years earlier after police received a complaint of theft and possible fraud.

The investigation found that close to $500,000 had been misappropriated from the Oilmen’s Club in Taber during the time Blanchard was manager.

The accused’s lawyer, Doug Carle, said following a court hearing in 2017, that there is no evidence to support the charges, and his client has been “grossly defamed.”

Follow @DelonHerald on Twitter

Share this story:
You have 4 free stories left to read this month. Subscribe Now & get unlimited access

12

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.