By Mabell, Dave on October 5, 2018.
The latest “Vital Signs” report, issued by the Community Foundation of Lethbridge and Southwestern Alberta, is full of fascinating facts.
Did you know . . .
– Wind power: our region’s 21 wind farms have 525 turbines, energizing 102,506 homes at peak production
– Food production: in 2017 our producers grew 751.9 million kilograms of potatoes on 61 farms, and 619.1 million kg of sugar beets on 138 farms
– Biological diversity: the Castle Provincial Parks are home to 25 species of fish, 59 kinds of mammals and more than 800 vascular plant species
– Languages: 81 per cent speak English as their primary language, one per cent speak French, four per cent are bilingual – but 3,680 also speak Blackfoot and 4,385 regularly speak two or more languages at home
– Immigration: 13 per cent have moved to Canada, three per cent within the last five years
– Education: 85 per cent are high school graduates, 56 per cent have attended college or university
– Income: six per cent report income over $100,00, nine per cent less than $10,000
– Urban/rural: 16 per cent live in communities with fewer than 1,000 people
– Voter turnout: 54 per cent voted in the 2017 municipal election in Raymond, 53.7 per cent in Fort Macleod, 52 per cent in Claresholm, 44 per cent in Milk River – but just 27.1 per cent in Lethbridge
– Federal election: 68.9 per cent voted locally in the 2015 federal election, 53.1 per cent for that year’s provincial election
Copies of Vital Signs are available at the Foundation office, 1202 2 Ave. S.
You must be logged in to post a comment.