By Nick Kuhl on June 22, 2019.
A former Ontario man accused of viciously beating an elderly
Lethbridge woman in her home last month remains in custody while his
lawyer and Crown prosecutor continue to work on the case.
Adam Hall Hobkirk-Onate appeared in Lethbridge provincial court Friday
where city lawyer Wade Hlady told the judge he hopes to take a step
but is waiting for a response from the Crown to his proposal to move
the case along.
Hobkirk, who appeared in court by closed-circuit TV from the
Lethbridge Correctional Centre, is charged with aggravated assault,
housebreaking to commit a robbery and being disguised with intent to
commit an indictable offence.
Police reported that a man broke into a 75-year-old woman’s home in
the 3000 block of Fairway Street South during the early morning hours
of May 21, and spent the night in a basement bedroom while the elderly
woman slept upstairs.
For some 18 hours the man remained undetected in the woman’s home,
then on the evening of May 22, while the woman was watching TV, she
heard a noise and went to investigate.
She was confronted by a masked man who repeatedly punched her in the
face, knocked her to the ground and dragged her to the garage where he
struck her multiple times in the head with a bicycle before fleeing in
Police and EMS arrived at the woman’s home about 7 p.m. after
receiving a 911 call from neighbours who heard screaming and saw the
woman struggling with a man in her garage.
Emergency personnel found the badly beaten woman suffering from head
and facial injuries and rushed her to the hospital where she was
treated for multiple broken bones in her nose and other head injuries,
then released into the care of her family.
At about 10:40 p.m. the same day, a police officer dealing with an
unrelated matter in the area of 9 Avenue and 7 Street South saw a
vehicle drive by with its headlights off, and noticed the licence
plate matched that belonging to the stolen vehicle.
The officer stopped the vehicle and arrested the driver.
Police said they also seized some of the man’s property he had left
at the victim’s home.
The matter returns to court next Friday.
Follow @DelonHerald on Twitter