By Shurtz, Delon on October 30, 2019.
A Lethbridge man who had pleas entered for him after he refused to do it himself, will stand trial on several charges later this year and in 2020.
Kurtis Lauren Babb refused to enter pleas during a hearing Oct. 22 in Lethbridge provincial court. The accused refused to co-operate with the court, prompting the judge to enter not guilty pleas on his behalf. He also refused to represent himself or have duty counsel help him during his bail hearing the same day, and he was remanded into custody.
Two days later, Babb returned to court where trial dates were set by the Crown. Babb, 34, is set to stand trial in provincial court on Nov. 6 on a single breach charge; Jan. 29, 2020 on an assault charge; and Feb. 7 on two counts of breach of probation. The Crown also suggested a fourth trial on April 1 on charges of resisting a peace officer, flight from police and breaching release conditions, but Judge Jerry LeGrandeur said that trial is too far away and he instructed the Crown to find an earlier date. That matter will back in court Thursday.
A fifth trial was set Monday in Lethbridge Court of Queen’s Bench. That trial, on charges of assault, assault causing bodily harm, and unlawful confinement, will be held Sept. 8, 2020.
During each of his court appearances, Babb repeatedly claimed he was not the individual charged, and only described himself as a man. He asked to be released, as well, but during his bail hearing last week he refused to argue his case.
“Your honour, I’m not a criminal, I’m a man,” he said.
He asked to be released again during his hearing Monday in Court of Queen’s Bench, and claimed he was representing his client Kurtis Babb, who was in custody.
Follow @DShurtzHerald on Twitter