October 28th, 2020

Man facing several charges to seek bail next week

By Shurtz, Delon on November 29, 2019.

Delon Shurtz

Lethbridge Herald


A Lethbridge man who has been in custody since he was charged with a rash of offences in October, hopes he’ll be released when he appears in court next month for a bail hearing.

Cory Ray Williams attended a brief hearing Thursday in a city courtroom, where he appeared by closed-circuit TV from the Lethbridge Correctional Centre. His lawyer, however, simply adjourned the matter until Wednesday when he expects to hold a show cause hearing and seek his client’s release.

Williams, 41, is charged with kidnapping, three counts of assault with a weapon, flight from police, dangerous driving, uttering threats, robbery, attempted kidnapping, break and enter and commit theft of motor vehicle, attempted robbery, possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose, and failing to comply with conditions of a probation order.

The charges stem from several offences last month in which a man attacked another man with a machete, then carjacked a vehicle and kidnapped the driver, forcing him, with a machete at his throat, to drive to several locations in the city, including an ATM where the victim was forced to withdraw cash.

The following day a man and woman were yelling at a man on the street, who was wielding several weapons. While police were responding, additional calls came in reporting a carjacking in progress by a man matching the description of the suspect involved in the disturbance.

A 61-year-old man was sitting in a parked vehicle when a man got into the passenger seat, brandished a small sword, threatened the driver and told him to drive. Police responded but were unable to find the suspect.

Before police could nab a suspect, they received a report that a man had grabbed a woman while she was walking along the street, threw her to the ground and demanded her cellphone. The description of the subject was the same as in the previous incidents, and a suspect was arrested at a northside home.

Williams pleaded guilty Nov. 8 to unrelated charges of drug possession, causing a disturbance and breach of probation. He was sentenced to 45 days in jail, but credited for 24 days spent in pre-trial custody, leaving him with only 21 days left on his sentence. That sentence has since been served, but Williams remains in custody pending his bail hearing.

The charges stem from incidents earlier this year, beginning May 28 when a woman called police to report her purse had been stolen. On June 4 police were called to a department store where they found Williams passed out in the entrance to the women’s bathroom. He was in possession of credit cards and a wallet that belonged to the woman whose purse was stolen the previous month.

On June 8 police were called again when Williams was causing a disturbance downtown. He was yelling at people, including members of the Watch team, and trying to pick fights. He continued to cause a commotion at a nearby hotel, and then tried to fight people at the Streets Alive Mission.

When police arrived and arrested him, he was in possession of syringe half full of methamphetamine.

Follow @DShurtzHerald on Twitter

Share this story:


Comments are closed.