October 31st, 2020

Sentencing delayed for woman guilty of arson

By Shurtz, Delon on December 12, 2019.

Delon Shurtz

Lethbridge Herald


A woman who was scheduled to be sentenced Wednesday for setting fires in two residences during the summer now won’t be sentenced until the new year.

Tila Bailey Scout was set to be sentenced in Lethbridge provincial court on two counts of arson, but the hearing was adjourned to Jan. 22 to allow more time for the judge and lawyers to review a couple of reports ordered in October.

Scout, 28, pleaded guilty to the charges Oct. 25 and court was told she set fire to a fourplex on 9 Avenue North by placing several items inside an oven, including an aerosol can, toilet paper, coffee filters and clothing. She turned on the oven and started a fire causing about $50,000 in damage.

On the same day, only a couple of blocks away, Scout set a blanket on fire in her aunt’s residence. When her aunt entered the residence she saw several fires burning and spent about 30 minutes extinguishing them. She noticed fire trucks down the street and caught the attention of firefighters who arrived to ensure her fires were out. Damage to her home was estimated at about $20,000.

Scout was not sentenced the day she pleaded guilty, and the judge ordered a pre-sentence report and Gladue report, which will provide him and the lawyers with Scout’s personal circumstances and aboriginal background to help determine a fit sentence.

Scout is also charged with robbery with a firearm, being disguised during the commission of an offence, and using an imitation firearm to commit an indictable offence, all in relation to a robbery a few days before she set the fires. James Patrick Scout is co-accused and faces the same charges, in addition to a charge of motor vehicle theft.

Those matters return to court Dec. 20 and both accused remain in custody at the Lethbridge Correctional Centre.

At about 4:50 a.m. Aug. 16 a masked man and woman entered the Circle K/Esso gas station in the 300 block of Bluefox Boulevard North. Police said the woman approached the store clerk, brandished a gun and demanded cash while the man stayed by the door.

The two suspects were given an undisclosed amount of cash, then ran from the store and jumped into a dark vehicle driven by another man. The clerk was not injured.

Follow @DShurtzHerald on Twitter

Share this story:


Comments are closed.