October 24th, 2020

Severe assault case adjourned again

By Shurtz, Delon on December 14, 2019.

Delon Shurtz

Lethbridge Herald


The case against a man accused of brutally assaulting an elderly Lethbridge woman in her home earlier this year has been adjourned again while lawyers decide how they’re going to proceed on the next court date.

The matter was in Lethbridge provincial court Friday, where the lawyer for Adam Hobkirk-Onate said he had only recently received some additional information from the Crown prosecutor assigned to the case, and would need time to discuss it with his client.

Hobkirk-Onate, who appeared in court by closed-circuit TV from the Lethbridge Correctional Centre, has been in custody since his arrest in May. He is charged with aggravated assault, housebreaking to commit a robbery and being disguised with intent to commit an indictable offence.

Police reported a man broke into a 75-year-old woman’s home in the 3000 block of Fairway Street South during the early morning hours of May 21, and spent the night in a basement bedroom while the elderly woman slept upstairs.

The man remained undetected in the woman’s home for about 18 hours until she heard a noise and went to investigate. She encountered a masked man who punched her in the face several times, knocked her to the ground and dragged her to the garage where he repeatedly struck her in the head with a bicycle before fleeing in her vehicle.

Police and EMS arrived at the victim’s home after receiving a 911 call from a neighbour, and found the badly beaten woman suffering from injuries to her head and face. She was rushed to the hospital and treated for several broken bones in her nose and other head injuries, then released into the care of her family.

At about 10:40 p.m. the following day, a police officer dealing with an unrelated matter on the southside noticed a vehicle drive by with its headlights off and a licence plate matching the stolen vehicle. The officer stopped the vehicle and arrested the driver. Police said they also seized some of the man’s property he had left at the victim’s home.

The matter is scheduled to return to court next Friday.

Follow @DShurtzHerald on Twitter

Share this story:


Comments are closed.