January 17th, 2021

Sentencing delayed in drug case

By Shurtz, Delon on January 24, 2020.

Delon Shurtz

Lethbridge Herald


A 26-year-old Lethbridge man who sold cocaine to undercover police officers more than a year ago has had his jail sentence postponed for a couple of weeks.

Peter Ntignee was set to be sentenced Thursday in Lethbridge provincial court on three criminal charges, but court was told he needed more time to get his personal affairs in order in expectation of a lengthy jail term for drug trafficking.

Ntignee pleaded guilty Nov. 14 to single counts of drug trafficking, drug possession for the purpose of trafficking and possession of stolen property, but sentencing was adjourned at that time.

According to an agreed statement of facts submitted to court following his guilty plea, undercover officers met with Ntignee and discussed buying a vehicle he had posted on Kijiji. The officers later attended a party Sept. 8, 2018, at the Polish Canadian Club, at which Ntignee was the DJ. Ntignee sold an officer one gram of cocaine for $60 and said he could buy more cocaine at a party he was hosting at his residence on the westside.

The following month an undercover officer contacted Ntignee on his cellphone and asked to buy one ounce of cocaine. Ntignee agreed and on Oct. 25 Ntignee met the officer in the parking lot of a northside pub where he provided his buyer with 22.5 grams of cocaine for $1,600.

After the transaction was completed, Ntignee told the undercover officer he sells balls – 3.5 grams – of cocaine, and a ball for a user costs $360, while a ball for a dealer costs $340.

Less than a month later an undercover officer met Ntignee at his residence, and the two men sat in Ntignee’s truck where the officer provided Ntignee with $1,100 cash for 13.9 grams of cocaine.

On Dec. 4, 2018 an undercover officer contacted Ntignee on his cellphone and arranged to buy nine ounces of cocaine for $17,000. The transaction was to take place two days later. However, after the deal was arranged, police raided Ntignee’s new home on the northside and caught him with 3.8 grams of powder cocaine, two grams of crack cocaine, and $3,125 cash as he was leaving the residence.

During a search of the residence police seized various documents bearing Ntignee’s name, 81 grams of cocaine powder, 37.6 grams of crack cocaine, digital scales containing cocaine residue, a measuring cup containing cocaine residue, plastic Baggies and packaging materials, and two cellphones, including the phone Ntignee used to arrange the sale of drugs to the undercover officer.

The federal Crown and defence are expected to provide the judge with a joint submission for sentencing when the matter returns to court next month.

Police also arrested Stevie Campbell during their drug investigation. She pleaded guilty in October to charges of drug trafficking and possession for the purpose of trafficking, and was sentenced Jan. 10 to 24 months in prison.

Follow @DShurtzHerald on Twitter

Share this story:


Comments are closed.