January 21st, 2021

Sentencing delayed in threats case

By Kuhl, Nick on January 29, 2020.

Nick Kuhl

Lethbridge Herald


A sentencing hearing was supposed to take place Tuesday, but instead the case of a 22-year-old man who walked into a city business last year and threatened employees with a toy handgun, will return Thursday.

David Guenther Krahn pleaded guilty in November to two charges of uttering threats to cause death and one charge of pointing a firearm. Additional charges of possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose, carrying a concealed weapon and use of a firearm in the commission of an offence, were withdrawn.

Krahn made a brief appearance in Lethbridge provincial court Tuesday morning, via closed-circuit TV from the Lethbridge Correctional Centre. He has been in custody since he was arrested in October.

Sentencing was originally adjourned to allow time for the preparation of a pre-sentence report, which will provide the judge with information about the accused to help determine a proper sentence. The PSR will include a psychological component to assess Krahn’s risk to himself and others, and to identify any possible illness.

With the guilty plea, the Crown said that on Oct. 29 Krahn tried to return a camera he bought two days earlier from Shoppers Drug Mart on the westside. The first clerk he spoke to referred him to a second clerk, who was unable to process his request that day.

Krahn became angry, shoved the camera toward the clerk and yelled at her, telling her keep it. As Krahn approached the exit, he stopped, pulled out a handgun and pointed it at the employees. The store’s security camera caught Krahn pointing the gun, and a woman outside the store saw and heard Krahn as he was leaving. He was also seen and identified by another witness.

Krahn was caught the following day after police received a tip from an individual who saw a Facebook post by the suspect announcing he was eating lunch at a particular restaurant. The informant recognized Krahn’s name from a list of people wanted by police and contacted authorities, leading them to the restaurant.

When police arrived, Krahn was in the bathroom, but one of the officers banged on the door, pretending to be a customer who needed to get in. When Krahn unlocked the door and came out, he was arrested. Police found an airsoft BB gun in the bathroom trash can.

The case will return to court on Thursday.

With files from Delon Shurtz

Follow @NKuhlHerald on Twitter

Share this story:


Comments are closed.