By Shurtz, Delon on March 4, 2020.
A 33-year-old Lethbridge man accused of sexually assaulting a woman last month is facing additional charges in relation to five more women.
Sohil Bindra, who initially faced a single charge of housebreaking and commit sexual assault and two counts of sexual assault in relation to one woman, now faces additional charges of sexual assault, administering a noxious substance, drug possession and choking with intent to commit an indictable offence.
The accused was in Lethbridge provincial court Tuesday where Crown Prosecutor Dawn Janecke explained a total of 14 charges representing all six complainants will replace the original charges when Bindra returns to court Friday. Although Bindra was previously released on bail, Janecke also told court she is opposed to Bindra’s release on the new charges, and will address his bail status during his next hearing.
In the meantime, Bindra has been ordered not to leave the city and to appear in court in person.
Police reported last month an 18-year-old woman was sexually assaulted after attending a bar with a friend Feb. 7.
During the evening the pair met a man, and when the 18-year-old suddenly became unwell, he offered to drive the two friends to their homes. After taking the 18-year-old inside, the man left the residence.
However, a short time later he returned, entered the home and sexually assaulted the woman, police said.
The victim was taken to Chinook Regional Hospital for treatment and released later in the day.
Police searched a suspect’s home and recovered evidence related to the offence, including the victim’s cellphone.
After Bindra was arrested and charged, he was released from custody by a Justice of the Peace on conditions he not have any contact with the victim or witnesses, not attend within 200 metres of either woman’s home, and not attend any licensed premise where the primary business is the sale of alcohol.
Follow @DShurtzHerald on Twitter