By Jensen, Randy on May 8, 2020.
The City of Lethbridge announced earlier this week the temporary workforce reduction of an additional 30 employees due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The reductions are primarily related to the delivery of recreation and cultural services as many City of Lethbridge buildings remain closed.
The provincial government recently announced a re-launch strategy, but opening dates for facilities such arenas, pools and the Enmax Centre remain uncertain at this time, the City said in a release. Additionally, once the City is given approval to reopen additional facilities, time for reprogramming and preparing these facilities to meet public health orders will be necessary before a full workforce is required again.
“As we continue in these unprecedented times, we are having to make some extremely difficult decisions in regards to temporarily reducing our workforce,” says City Manager Jody Meli. “I can’t thank all those involved enough for their professionalism and understanding. As soon as we are able to open our facilities and get our services back on track, we intend on bringing our employees back to work.”
The latest reduction brings the total number of temporary workforce reductions to 301 for the City.