By Lethbridge Herald on May 29, 2020.
Government of Alberta press release:
As part of the relaunch strategy which includes providing free non-medical masks to Albertans who need them, the government of Alberta is partnering with A&W, McDonald’s Restaurants of Canada Ltd. and Tim Hortons to distribute non-medical masks at no cost through their drive-thru locations across the province, to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. Distribution will start in early June.
Government is also working with municipalities, First Nations communities, Metis Settlements and local agencies to distribute the non-medical masks to those who need them, such as people who depend on public transit.
“I want to thank A&W, McDonald’s Canada, Tim Hortons, and all of the other organizations and municipalities that have come together to help us distribute millions of masks. The collective response from leaders in government, public, and private sectors has been overwhelming and I am incredibly grateful to everyone involved, ” says Minister of Health Tyler Shandro.
This initiative is part of Alberta’s Relaunch Strategy to safely begin removing public health restrictions and reopen our economy.
For more information, visit alberta.ca/RelaunchStrategy.
• Masks are provided in packages of four.
• Masks will be available at almost 600 restaurant partner locations across Alberta.
• Masks will be available only at drive-thrus, and only while supplies last. No purchase is necessary.
• About 95 per cent of Albertans are located within 10 kilometres of these drive-thrus.
• Mask use is not mandatory; they are an option for situations where maintaining a physical distance of two metres is not possible.
• The mask distribution program is intended to supplement an individual’s efforts to acquire non-medical masks. Albertans who wish to use non-medical masks are encouraged to purchase their own supply from local retailers in addition to using those provided by government.
• Instructions for proper care and use of non-medical masks is available on alberta.ca/masks.