January 16th, 2021

Man pleads guilty to assault with a weapon

By Shurtz, Delon on June 17, 2020.

Delon Shurtz

lethbridge herald


A southern Alberta man who assaulted another man more than three years ago has finally been sentenced.

Matthew Kyle Chiefmoon was sentenced to 90 days in jail after he pleaded guilty Monday in Lethbridge provincial court to one count of assault with a weapon.

Blood Tribe police were called to a fight in the community of Levern April 23, 2017, where several “extremely intoxicated” young men were involved in an altercation, which began as a verbal argument. The argument escalated into a fight, however, and during the melee Chiefmoon struck one of the combatants in the head twice with a baseball bat, knocking him down.

Crown prosecutor Dawn Janecke said the victim was not seriously hurt by the bat, and only sustained some abrasions to the face while he was on the ground.

Chiefmoon also pleaded guilty to three charges of failing to attend court in July 2017, September 2018 and January 2019, and two counts of breaching release conditions prohibiting him from consuming alcohol and being outside after curfew.

Court was told police were called out about 11 p.m. on Oct. 1, 2018 after they received a report that an intoxicated individual was shouting in the community of Levern. When they arrived and found a drunken Chiefmoon, they charged him with the two breaches.

He was sentenced to one day in jail on each of the charges of failing to attend court, and 14 days on each of the breaches. The sentences, however, will run concurrently to each other and to the sentence for assault. The total sentence of 90 days was reduced to 25 days after Chiefmoon was given credit for time he has spent in custody since his arrest May 4.

Lethbridge lawyer Ingrid Hess agreed with the recommended sentences, and explained that at the time of the offences her client was young and dealing with difficulties in his life. She said Chiefmoon, 22, has since become involved in a serious relationship and wants to put his life in order so he can focus on raising his two children.

Although additional charges of failing to attend court, breaching release conditions and possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose were withdrawn Monday, Chiefmoon returns to court Wednesday to address more charges, including robbery and possession of stolen property. Hess said a trial will likely be set for the robbery charge.

Follow @DShurtzHerald on Twitter

Share this story:


Comments are closed.