January 20th, 2021

Man facing several charges released from custody

By Shurtz, Delon on September 23, 2020.

Delon Shurtz

lethbridge herald


A 44-year-old man has been released from custody while he waits to stand trial on charges of robbery, aggravated assault and possession of stolen property under $5,000.

Judge John Maher released Steven Gordon Quebec following a bail hearing Tuesday in Lethbridge provincial court, but he also sentenced him to 30 days in jail after Quebec pleaded guilty to three charges of breaching release conditions.

Crown Prosecutor Bruce Ainscough told court Quebec had been released from custody Jan. 29 on the robbery charge and ordered to not possess any weapons, to abstain from consuming alcohol and drugs, and to stay out of Lethbridge unless he was attending court.

At about 3 p.m. on Aug. 8 police were investigating the theft of a bicycle and saw Quebec sitting beside a bike near the homeless shelter. As the police officer pulled up beside the bike, Quebec stood up and walked away, and when the officer asked his name, the suspect said it was Chris Quebec.

Ainscough pointed out the officer is familiar with Chris Quebec and knew the suspect had provided a false name. After checking a police database, Steven Quebec’s name came up with warrants out of Calgary.

The officer arrested Quebec, and during a search found drugs and a folding knife the suspect was carrying in a fanny pack. Police also determined he shouldn’t have been in the city.

“He was not here in relation to any court matters,” Ainscough said.

Quebec agreed with most of the facts related by the Crown, but told court he had come to Lethbridge for a court hearing. He didn’t realize it had been postponed, however, and was then stuck in the city while he waited for the next hearing. He also told court he didn’t steal the bicycle.

Although sentenced to 30 days in jail, Quebec was given credit for 30 days he has already spent in custody since his arrest in August.

Police reported last December the robbery and assault charges stem from an incident Dec. 6, 2019 in the 200 block of 5 Street South after a citizen noticed an injured man and called 911. EMS transported the victim to hospital where he was treated for multiple cuts and lacerations to his head and later released.

Police said the victim was in Galt Gardens when he was attacked by three men who were known to him. The assailants took a small amount of cash from the victim, shot him with bear spray and struck him in the head several times with a metal object.

One suspect was found and arrested without incident later in the morning while he was riding a stolen bicycle in the 1400 block of 2 Avenue North. The second suspect was found the following day and arrested by community peace officers in the downtown core following a short scuffle.

Quebec returns to court Nov. 30 for trial.

Follow @DShurtzHerald on Twitter

Share this story:


Comments are closed.