By Shurtz, Delon on October 17, 2020.
The case against a Lethbridge man facing more than a dozen charges relating to a string of violent offences a year ago will likely be delayed again after his lawyer was recently removed from the record.
During a hearing this week in Lethbridge provincial court lawyer Claudia Connolly said a conflict made it necessary to withdraw as Cory Ray Williams’ lawyer. That is expected to delay the case while Williams’ third lawyer, Andre Ouellette of Calgary, waits to be appointed by Legal Aid.
Meanwhile, Williams remains in custody at the Lethbridge Correctional Centre where he has been remanded since his arrest Oct. 23, 2019. The accused was denied bail in February, and again last month following a bail review in Court of Queen’s Bench. His next court hearing is scheduled for Oct. 27 in provincial court.
Williams, 41, pleaded not guilty Feb. 6 to charges of kidnapping, attempted kidnapping, possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose, assault with a weapon, flight from police, dangerous driving, uttering threats, robbery, attempted robbery and housebreaking. He was set for a week-long trial in July, but it was postponed after his first lawyer withdrew and Connolly was retained.
“We’re regretful,” Connolly told the judge earlier this week. “We certainly want to help him.”
Police reported that on Oct. 20 of last year a man attacked an acquaintance with a machete but fled before police arrived.
The same evening, a vehicle parked along Mayor Magrath Drive North was carjacked, and the driver, with a machete held to his throat, was forced to drive to several locations in the city. The suspect made the victim withdraw money from an ATM, then ordered him to drive toward the Blood Reserve.
The following day, police responded to a disturbance along 2 Avenue South where a man was wielding multiple weapons. While police were en route, additional calls came in reporting a carjacking in the 200 block of 27 Street South by a man matching the description of the subject involved in the disturbance.
Then on Oct. 23, a woman was walking from a bus stop on the northside when a man threw her to the ground and demanded she turn over her cellphone. He ran away after the scuffle, but was found later that day at a northside home and arrested. Police searched the suspect’s residence and reportedly recovered evidence of the previous offences.
Follow @DShurtzHerald on Twitter