October 23rd, 2020

Man expected to plead guilty in four deaths in Penticton, B.C.


By The Canadian Press on October 14, 2020.

John Brittain is escorted from the RCMP detachment in Penticton, B.C., Tuesday, April 16, 2019, in a still image made from video footage. Brittain, accused in a shooting that left four people dead in Penticton, B.C., is expected to plead guilty today in court. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Amy Smart

KELOWNA, B.C. – A man accused in a shooting that left four people dead in Penticton, B.C., is expected to plead guilty today in court.

A lawyer for 69-year-old John Brittain told a B.C. Supreme Court judge on Oct. 5 that his client intended to plead guilty to four indictments.

Brittain was charged with three counts of first-degree murder and one count of second-degree murder after the shooting in April last year.

Rudi Winter, Barry and Susan Wonch and Darlene Knippelberg were all killed.

The RCMP said the shootings were targeted and the victims, who were neighbours of Brittain’s ex-wife, knew one another.

A two-day sentencing hearing has been scheduled for Brittain, who is a former employee of the City of Penticton.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Oct. 14, 2020.

Share this story:

7
Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments


0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x