November 23rd, 2014

News

Local News

  • City won’t contribute more tax money to STARS

    Dave Mabell LETHBRIDGE HERALD dmabell@lethbridgeherald.com After donating more than a quarter-million dollars, Lethbridge taxpayers are off the hook for STARS air ambulance service. Emergency medical service has been taken over by Alberta Health, city council was reminded Saturday. So there’s no reason for Lethbridge residents to make a[...] Read More »

    3 hours ago
  • Charges laid in pair of Subway robberies this week

    Melissa Villeneuve Lethbridge Herald mvilleneuve@lethbridgeherald.com Lethbridge regional police have charged two B.C. men in connection with robberies at two local Subway restaurants earlier this week. Chad Hanson, 20, and Nicholas Funk, 21, have both been charged with offences relating to the Subway robberies which occurred on Monday and[...] Read More »

    3 hours ago
  • Alta. needs change: Sherman

    Melissa Villeneuve Lethbridge Herald mvilleneuve@lethbridgeherald.com Alberta Liberal leader Dr. Raj Sherman spoke to a crowd of supporters in Lethbridge on Saturday. He attended the Lethbridge East and Lethbridge West annual general meetings and answered questions for local citizens at the Lethbridge Senior Citizens Organization. “Albertans are looking for[...] Read More »

    3 hours ago
  • Disaster Recovery Program continues to Jan. 27

    Melissa Villeneuve Lethbridge Herald mvilleneuve@lethbridgeherald.com Residents affected by flooding last June can still apply for help through the Disaster Recovery Program until Jan. 27, 2015. The City of Lethbridge and Lethbridge County held a registration centre earlier this week. Over three days, 69 applications were received. Leanne[...] Read More »

    3 hours ago
  • One-stop shopping for college grads

    Melissa Villeneuve Lethbridge Herald mvilleneuve@lethbridgeherald.com First impressions are important, and for those attending Lethbridge College’s 33rd annual Career Conference this past week, it was a chance to put their best foot forward. Students, employers and post-secondary institutions built career pathways at the free event in the Val Matteotti[...] Read More »

    3 hours ago

National News

  • More protesters arrested after crossing police line into pipeline survey area

    VANCOUVER – About a dozen more people have been arrested at a pipeline protest in a conservation area in Vancouver. The protesters were taken away Saturday after crossing a police line on Burnaby Mountain, where crews have been conducting survey work for the proposed Trans Mountain pipeline expansion. Arrests began at the site Thursday, four [...] Read More »

    16 hours ago
  • Quebec budget-slashing review recommends cuts to municipalities, farmers

    QUEBEC – Quebec municipalities and farmers are among those targeted by an advisory group set up to review government programs and cut spending. According to information obtained by The Canadian Press, the commission will recommend slashing funding for municipalities and agriculture as the province aims to balance the budget by 2015-2016. A preliminary report from [...] Read More »

    16 hours ago
  • Canadian Forces soldier dies in on-base incident; Harper offers condolences

    CFB PETAWAWA, Ont. – Prime Minister Stephen Harper is offering his condolences after a soldier was killed in an “unfortunate incident” at CFB Petawawa in eastern Ontario. Harper says in a statement that Craftman Kyle Sinclair succumbed to injuries suffered in the incident. Canadian Forces spokesman Lt. Jean-Francois Carpentier says only that the military is [...] Read More »

    17 hours ago
  • City of Ottawa says confident no sensitive details leaked after website hacked

    OTTAWA – The City of Ottawa says it doesn’t believe any sensitive information has been compromised after its website was hacked. Visitors to the site for several hours Friday ended up seeing an image of a dancing banana and a brief text message directed against an officer with the city’s police force. There has been [...] Read More »

    17 hours ago
  • Charest denies illegal party financing, report linking him to SNC-Lavalin

    MONTREAL – Former Quebec premier Jean Charest is denying a report linking him to a political fundraising scheme with engineering giant SNC-Lavalin in the year before he took office. Charest, who was premier from 2003 to 2012, says he has never participated in any illegal party financing activity. Charest made the comments in a statement [...] Read More »

    19 hours ago

Provincial News

World News