By Kuhl, Nick on March 7, 2020.
Unlike the Yukon, Alberta will still spring forward early Sunday morning.
Daylight Time begins this weekend when clocks move ahead one hour at 2 a.m. Sunday.
For the City of Lethbridge, it marks an important safety measure to protect your family. Fire and Emergency Services encourages residents to take time this weekend to change their smoke alarm and carbon monoxide detector batteries.
“A working smoke detector is critical in alerting people in the case of a cooking fire,” officials said in a news release. “In 2019, Lethbridge firefighters responded to over 300 cooking/smoke detector calls.”
The fire department also responds calls about carbon monoxide detectors. Carbon monoxide is an odourless, colourless gas that can be poisonous and even cause death.
“A carbon monoxide detector is the best way to protect you and your family from carbon monoxide poisoning,” officials say. “Heating and cooking equipment that burns fuel, like furnaces and stoves, are common sources of carbon monoxide.
Detectors often have expiration dates and should be replaced at least every 10 years.