October 19th, 2020

Man accused of sex assault denied bail


By Shurtz, Delon on March 11, 2020.

Delon Shurtz

lethbridge herald

dshurtz@lethbridgeherald.com

A 33-year-old Lethbridge man accused of drugging and sexually assaulting six women has been denied bail and will remain in custody pending the outcome of his case.

Judge Derek Redman refused to release Sohil Bindra following a bail hearing Tuesday in Lethbridge provincial court. And although he acknowledged everyone accused of a criminal offence is entitled to bail, he said the seriousness of the allegations against Bindra warrant his detention.

The accused faces 14 charges, which comprise housebreaking and commit sexual assault, sexual assault, administering a noxious substance, drug possession and choking with intent to commit an indictable offence. Bindra initially faced a single charge of housebreaking and two counts of sexual assault in relation to one woman, but more charges were added after five more women alleged assaults by him, one of which goes back to July 2017.

Although Bindra was previously released on bail following the initial charges, the Crown told court last week it is opposed to his release on the new charges. During a hearing last Friday, Bindra was taken into custody and held pending Tuesday’s bail hearing.

Police reported last month an 18-year-old woman was sexually assaulted after attending a bar with a friend on Feb. 7. During the evening the pair met a man, and when the 18-year-old suddenly became unwell, he offered to drive the two friends to their homes. After taking the 18-year-old inside, the man left the residence.

However, a short time later he returned, entered the home and sexually assaulted the woman, police said.

The victim was taken to Chinook Regional Hospital for treatment and released later in the day.

Police searched a suspect’s home and recovered evidence related to the offence, including the victim’s cellphone.

Follow @DShurtzHerald on Twitter

Share this story:

13

Comments are closed.