January 15th, 2021

Man sentenced for mischief and threats

By Shurtz, Delon on March 18, 2020.

Delon Shurtz

lethbridge herald


A 27-year-old man who trashed a home and threatened to kill several people has been handed a jail sentence.

Abdalla Hassan Ibrahim was sentenced to nearly five months in jail after pleading guilty Tuesday in Lethbridge provincial court to charges of mischief, threats to cause death, breach of release conditions and theft under $5,000.

Court was told that on Oct. 19 of last year Ibrahim was causing a disturbance at a Lethbridge residence at which he did not live but was staying for a few days. At the time he was prohibited by a court order that he not be intoxicated outside his own residence.

Ibrahim was heavily intoxicated, and during the commotion he smashed several items, flipped over a couch and threatened to kill the homeowner and her daughter.

Ibrahim uttered more threats the following month when he was driving a woman to the emergency shelter and became agitated. He began calling the woman names and said he would kill her.

He was in trouble again Dec. 16 after police were called to his former girlfriend’s residence. Ibrahim, who was intoxicated at the time and had previously been ordered to stay away from the residence, wanted to reconcile with the woman and was trying to get inside the building. She refused to let him inside and he left, but returned later and smashed one of her windows so he could talk to her.

It was the second time Ibrahim had tried to see the woman while he was on a recognizance prohibiting him from doing so. The first was on Sept. 13 when he went to her house, but that time she let him in. She told him he shouldn’t be there and asked him to leave, which he did but only after stealing her cellphone.

Lethbridge lawyer Miranda Hlady told court her client has an “alcohol problem,” and has had difficulty adjusting to life in Canada after moving here from Somalia.

Although sentenced to 140 days in jail, Ibrahim was given full credit for time he has already spent in pre-trial custody, effectively concluding his sentence. He will not be released from the Lethbridge Correctional Centre, however, where he is remanded while he waits to stand trial on other charges.

Follow @DShurtzHerald on Twitter

Share this story:


Comments are closed.