By Submitted Article on March 27, 2020.
Lethbridge Early Years Coalition release:
Early Childhood Coalitions of Alberta received notice that provincial funding is discontinued as of March 31, 2020. Lethbridge Early Years Coalition (LEYC) is part of a network of nearly 100 Early Childhood Coalitions working to raise awareness and action to support healthy early childhood development in communities across our province.
Lethbridge Early Years Coalition is a collaboration of more than 20 community organizations, community members and parents who are working towards preventative services to reduce children’s adverse childhood experiences (ACEs) utilizing evidence-based research to build awareness, mobilize knowledge, and promote and advocate for the healthy development of children in their early years.
Lethbridge Early Years Coalition is all about fostering community awareness and collaboration to ensure all our children reach their full potential. Science shows that a child’s experiences and environment during their first five years have a lifelong impact on everything from physical and mental health, success in school, success in relationships and the workplace.
LEYC would like to thank the community of Lethbridge and LEYC members for your strong support over the past four and a half years. Since 2016 LEYC has:
– Spearheaded the development of the Lethbridge Play Charter.
– Developed a Lethbridge National Child Day Celebration hosting over 1,500 participants in the past two years and connecting them to 29 participating local organizations and programs.
– Piloted Lethbridge Roving Gyms providing free indoor active play during fall and winter months for 3,898 caregivers and children.
– Hosted 42 free community workshops in Lethbridge attended by over 1,000 community members on early childhood development topics such as stress, electronics, play, brain development, resilience and communication in the early years.
– Connected over 7,000 Lethbridge community members to local programs, services, resources and information on early childhood development while participating in Lethbridge community events.
– Collaborated with 219 coalition members representing 28 local organization to address needs and gaps for healthy early childhood development in Lethbridge.
– And so much more!
Lethbridge Early Years Coalition provides parent and caregiver education opportunities, advocates for our youngest citizens with local and provincial government, and pilots family programs based on evidence-based research that help support healthy child development.
LEYC has operated on an annual budget of $22,500 and is seeking other funding sources to continue this valuable work of advocating and supporting our youngest citizens. If you know of funding opportunities or would like to donate to this important work happening in our community, please contact email@example.com.
Lethbridge residents interested in the future of Early Childhood Coalitions of Alberta and specifically Lethbridge Early Years Coalition, please contact your MLAs and the Ministry of Alberta Children’s Services.
– MLA Nathan Neudorf, #10, 550 WT Hill Blvd S., Lethbridge, AB T1J 4Z9, firstname.lastname@example.org
– MLA Shannon Phillips, #110, 410 Stafford Dr. S., Lethbridge, AB T1J 2L2, Lethbridge.West@assembly.ab.ca
– Ministry of Children’s Services, Honourable Rebecca Schultz, 204 Legislature Building, 10800 97 Ave., Edmonton, AB T5K 2B6, email@example.com