By Shurtz, Delon on May 2, 2020.
A 25-year-old Lethbridge man accused of trying to flee from police in a stolen vehicle in March won’t know for several days whether he’ll be released on bail.
Following a lengthy bail hearing Thursday in Lethbridge provincial court, Judge Gregory Maxwell reserved his decision for a week to consider arguments by the Crown and defence.
Although the Crown is opposed to the release of Anthony Douglas Johnston, Calgary lawyer Robin McIntyre told court her client is prepared to post $500 of his own money for bail, and a friend is prepared to post $1,000 surety. She also said Johnston could live with the surety and be subject to conditions of house arrest.
Although details of the alleged offence described in the bail hearing is subject to a publication ban, police reported they were on the lookout for a stolen Ford Explorer when they noticed it March 20 in the Dairy Queen drive-through on Mayor Magrath Drive South. As officers tried to trap the vehicle to prevent the driver from fleeing, he drove into a police vehicle then into the side of a Motel 6 office building.
The driver tried again to evade police but eventually gave up and was arrested, police reported. Two passengers in the vehicle were also taken into custody.
Police searched the vehicle and seized a can of bear spray, which is a prohibited weapon under the Criminal Code, and found a key to a Hyundai vehicle previously stolen and recovered the day before.
Damage to the motel and Explorer is estimated at $75,000 to $100,000.
Johnston is charged with possession of stolen property over $5,000, possession of stolen property under $5,000, driving while uninsured, operating a motor vehicle while prohibited, flight from police, dangerous driving and possession of a prohibited weapon.
His matter returns to court Thursday.
Follow @DShurtzHerald on Twitter