By Jensen, Randy on May 6, 2020.
Alberta optometrists have been given the green light to resume operations as part of the first stage of the provincial rollout during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Optometrists have been allowed to resume routine eye examinations as per the direction of the Alberta College of Optometrists, who in turn has been given the go ahead from Alberta Health with the following measures in place:
– When patients phone for an appointment, they will be asked if they have any signs or symptoms of COVID-19 and to self isolate until they fully recover;
– Patients are encouraged to come to the exam wearing a mask;
– On arrival, they will immediately be asked to either use hand sanitizer or wash with soap and water, and they are encouraged to refrain from touching their own face;
– Any accompanying person not getting their eyes checked are asked to remain in their vehicle;
– The optometrist will don a mask and his or her hands will be washed between patients, same protocol for clinic staff members. Gloves will be worn at the optometrist’s discretion; and
– When the patient starts choosing new frames at the dispensary, expect extra steps to be required for cleaning frames that are to be tried on, etc.