By Shurtz, Delon on July 24, 2020.
A 33-year-old Lethbridge man facing more than a dozen charges relating to sexual assaults against several women made a brief appearance Thursday in Lethbridge provincial court.
Sohil Bindra appeared by closed-circuit TV from the Lethbridge Correctional Centre, but his matters were simply adjourned until next month to allow his lawyer time to review additional disclosure just received from the Crown’s office. That disclosure comprises some 5,000 pages and will require more time to review, Calgary lawyer David Chow told court.
Police reported in March that an 18-year-old woman was sexually assaulted after attending a bar with a friend on Feb. 7. During the evening the pair met a man, and when the 18-year-old suddenly became unwell, he offered to drive the two friends to their homes. After taking the 18-year-old inside, the man left the residence.
He returned a short time later, however, entered the home and sexually assaulted the woman, police said. She was taken to Chinook Regional Hospital for treatment and released later in the day.
Police searched a suspect’s home and recovered evidence related to the offence, including the victim’s cellphone.
Bindra initially faced a single charge of housebreaking and two counts of sexual assault in relation to one woman, and had been released on bail. However, more charges were added later after five more women came forward and said they had also been sexually assaulted. One of the alleged assaults goes back to July 2017. The accused was taken into custody in March when he attended a court hearing and bail was subsequently denied.
Bindra pleaded not guilty March 12 to 14 charges, which comprise housebreaking and commit sexual assault, sexual assault, administering a noxious substance, drug possession and choking with intent to commit an indictable offence. He also faces an additional charge of failing to comply with release conditions.
His next court hearing is scheduled for Aug. 10.
Follow @DShurtzHerald on Twitter