By Submitted Article on September 2, 2020.
ALBERTA HEALTH SERVICES
Watermelon is the perfect summer fruit. It is naturally sweet, and requires minimal prep time to allow for maximum relaxation during your summer vacation. It is also high in vitamin C and can help you meet your daily water intake on a hot day.
Here are a variety of ways to use up and enjoy that large watermelon sitting in your fridge.
1. Watermelon Skewers: Place cubed watermelon and feta on a skewer. Top with a piece of mint and drizzle with balsamic glaze. If you need something quicker, mix cubed watermelon, feta, mint, balsamic vinegar and a bit of oil in a bowl for an easy watermelon salad.
2. Grilled Watermelon: For a sweet and satisfying dessert try grilling watermelon. Mix the juice and zest of one lime, two tablespoons of honey and one tablespoon of oil. Brush over watermelon. Grill over medium heat until grill marks form (about two minutes per side). If desired, sprinkle with chopped mint and sea salt.
3. Single Ingredient Popsicles: Slice watermelon into wedges and trim off the rind. Insert a Popsicle stick and freeze! A healthy and easy treat for a warm day.
4. Ice Cubes: Instead of boring ice cubes, spice up your drink by using frozen chunks of watermelon as ice cubes. This is also a great way to use up leftover watermelon before it goes to waste.
5. Watermelon Pizza: Cut a round slice of watermelon for the “crust.” Spread vanilla yogurt evenly over the surface of watermelon. Top with your favourite fruits and nuts. Kick up the flavour by adding torn mint or unsweetened coconut flakes. Cut into eight slices and serve.
6. Watermelon Fruit Roll-Ups: Blend watermelon in the blender then place in a strainer lined with cheesecloth to remove the excess liquid. Spread evenly on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake at your oven’s lowest temperature until no longer shiny (six to eight hours). Cut, roll and enjoy!
7. Creamy Watermelon Smoothie: Freshen up your morning routine with a smoothie. Blend two cups frozen cubed watermelon, one cup plain or vanilla yogurt, and a splash of lemon juice together. Add milk until desired consistency is reached.
8. Watermelon Dippers: Cut your watermelon into dippers. First cutting your watermelon in half. Then with the flat side down, cut vertically into slices. Rotate your watermelon a quarter turn and cut into slices again (from the top view, your cuts should create a grid pattern). Create a yummy dip to go with it. I enjoy plain yogurt, a splash of lime juice and a bit of honey for sweetness.
9. Watermelon Ice Cream: Blend two cups watermelon, two cups whole milk, two tablespoons sugar and a splash of vanilla. Pour into a loaf pan and freeze for three hours. Remove from freezer, and re-blend. Place back into the freezer for one additional hour before serving.
10. Watermelon Sparkling Water: Add cubed or crushed watermelon and torn basil leaves to your sparkling water for a flavour boost.
I hope these ideas help you use up your watermelon, but if not, cube up the leftovers and freeze for later.
Ashley Bray is a Registered Dietitian with Alberta Health Services, Population and Public Health. She can be reached by email, email@example.com.