May 20th, 2024

Roy Fox re-elected Chief of Blood Tribe

By Lethbridge Herald on November 28, 2020.

Herald file photo by Tijana Martin Chief Roy Fox has been re-elected as the Blood Tribe held elections this week for Chief and Council.

Roy Fox will return as Chief of the Blood Tribe, according to official results from the Blood Tribe election which was held Thursday.
Fox garnered 628 votes, according to chief electoral officer Wilton Good Striker, to outdistance runner-up Vernon Chief Moon Jr., who received 551 votes. A total of eight people were in the running for chief.
Meanwhile, four incumbents were re-elected as Blood Tribe councillors including Dorothy First Rider (582 votes), Floyd Big Head (512), Martin Heavy Head (431) and Marcel Weasel Head (426).
Rounding out council are Traveller Plaited Hair (931 votes), Clarence Black Water (584), Piinaakoyim Tailfeathers (552), Mickey Day Rider (494), Winston Day Chief (472), Diandra Bruised Head (426), Richard Red Crow (408) and Maria Russell (397).
A total of 88 candidates were running for councillor.
This year’s elections saw many safety measures in place in response to the COVID-19 virus which included more voting polls and voters provided with masks and gloves.
In relation to the election, Lethbridge Police were called to an off-reserve Blood Tribe election polling station Thursday by a private security company concerned aƊgroup unable to vote was becoming aggressive.
Police arrived at the polling station at Exhibition Park Lethbridge after 8 p.m. and found a large crowd gathered outside the building entrance, Lethbridge Police Service said in a news release. They spoke with several people who were concerned they had been waiting for a long time to vote, were told by security the polls were closed, and they needed to leave the property.
According to information posted on the official election website, polling stations on the Blood Reserve, in Calgary and Lethbridge were to close at 7 p.m. Thursday.
Police were told by elections workers the polls had already been extended an extra hour to 8 p.m., but they were now closed and votes were being counted.
An officer was asked to read the bylaw regarding voting hours aloud. Once he explained the polls were not being shut down early, the crowd began to disperse without incident and police left the scene.

Share this story:


Comments are closed.