January 18th, 2021

Trial in fatal pedestrian collision won’t be set until the new year


By Delon Shurtz on December 11, 2020.

LETHBRIDGE HERALDdshurtz@lethbridgeherald.com

A trial being planned for a Lethbridge man who was charged after a 10-year-old boy was struck and killed by a motor vehicle last spring likely won’t be set until sometime in the new year, the man’s lawyer said Thursday.
Greg White told court the matter needs to be discussed in case management before a trial is scheduled.
The matter is set to return to the courtroom Jan. 17, but scheduling the trial may need to be adjourned further to allow time to book hearings to address additional applications, first.
Neil Martin Skjodt pleaded not guilty Nov. 10 to a single charge of careless driving under the Traffic Safety Act. The charge allows for a maximum fine of $2,000 or six months in jail, or both, and possibly licence suspension.
Skjodt, 52, was charged under the Traffic Safety Act rather than under the Criminal Code after investigating officers determined there was no criminality involved in the unfortunate incident.
At about 3:30 p.m. on April 13 police responded to a pedestrian collision between Coalbanks Gate and Aquitania Boulevard West. A large SUV travelling south on Aquitania Boulevard turned west onto Whoop-Up Drive and struck two young boys crossing in the crosswalk with their father. The 10-year-old boy died in the hospital.
White, speaking previously outside the courthouse, said a trial will be necessary to deal with certain issues facing the defence.

Follow @DShurtzHerald on Twitter

Share this story:
<5
Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments


0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x