July 24th, 2024

Savard trial to commence April 7


By Delon Shurtz on February 3, 2021.

LETHBRIDGE HERALDdshurtz@lethbridgeherald.com

A woman accused of arranging a brutal attack on a younger boy more than a year ago will finally stand trial later this spring.
During a brief hearing Monday in Lethbridge provincial court, Calgary lawyer Andre Ouellette pleaded not guilty on behalf of his client, Trinity Savard, to one count of aggravated assault, and elected to be tried by a provincial court judge. The Lethbridge trial is set to run for three days beginning April 7.
Savard, who recently moved to B.C., was charged following an incident at about midnight on Dec. 5, 2019, when a 16-year-old boy and an older teenage woman, who police said arranged the beating, were walking in a dark alley just off Mayor Magrath Drive North.
The boy was attacked from behind by several people who kicked, punched and stabbed him multiple times. He was taken to Chinook Regional Hospital with stab wounds to his back, then flown by STARS air ambulance to Calgary.
During the police investigation of the assault, officers found a van that had been stolen from a business on 13 Street North the same day of the attack. The van was found parked behind an apartment building at 210 Mayor Magrath Dr. N., and inside one of the apartments police found a BB gun, a bloody three-inch folding knife, and the victim’s cellphone.
A 20-year-old man who was considered a party to the offence, was charged with aggravated assault and theft over $5,000. He pleaded guilty to the charges in June and was sentenced in September to 16 months in jail, minus 13 1/2 months for time he spent in pre-trial custody.
The Crown prosecuting the offender, told court the attack was premeditated and carefully planned. When it was over the attackers fled from the area without calling for help, leaving the bleeding boy alone in the alley.
Two teenage boys were also charged in relation to the gang-style attack.
Both of those accused, who can’t be identified because of their age, are charged with aggravated assault. One of the boys is also charged with threats to cause death or bodily harm and obstructing a peace officer, while the other boy faces an additional charge of assault with a weapon. Their matters return to court next week.

Follow @DShurtzHerald on Twitter

Share this story:

4
-3

Comments are closed.