By Herald on March 9, 2021.
The Lethbridge School Division has announced that Wilson Middle School has recently been notified by Alberta Health Services that they have identified fourth and fifth cases of COVID-19 at the school, which places Wilson on Outbreak status.
Galbraith Elementary School has also been notified by Alberta Health Services that they have identified second and third cases of COVID-19 at the school.
As a result, the Medical Officer of Health has started an investigation for both schools. Public Health staff are investigating to determine who may have been exposed at to cases of COVID-19 during their infectious period. The risk to the general population in the schools of becoming infected because of these cases is said to be low.
Public Health and the schools are said to be working closely together to ensure timely and accurate contact tracing, with those identified as close contacts being notified via email and instructed to quarantine for at least 14 days. Public Health also has provided recommendations to the schools about cleaning measures and other control measures to reduce the risk of further transmission. Both school schedules will proceed as normal on Tuesday.
The division also says a single case has also been identified at Dr. Gerald B. Probe Elementary School.
Over the weekend the Holy Spirit Catholic School Division announced it had been informed of an additional case of COVID-19 at St. Teresa of Calcutta School, placing that school under Outbreak status. All close contacts have been informed and are required to quarantine while following the directives provided by Alberta Health Services.
As of Saturday, the division has ten active cases, two at Ecole St. Mary, three at St. Francis Junior High School and five at St. Teresa of Calcutta, requiring the isolation of roughly 260 staff and students.