By Delon Shurtz on July 6, 2021.
A 45-year-old former Taber man who was convicted in March of sexual offences against a female teenager 14 years ago, has appealed his conviction and sentence.
Richard Antony Elliott, who now lives in B.C., was sentenced in May to nearly six years in a federal prison on two counts of sexual assault and one count of sexual exploitation. In his appeal filed last monthÂ with Alberta’s Court of Appeal, Elliott claims he is not guilty of the sexual assaults, and says he has “questions” about his sentence, particularly regarding the court’s order he register with the Sex Offender Information Registry for the rest of his life.
Elliott assaulted the 15-year-old girl while worked at a MacDonald’s restaurant in Taber between 2007 and 2008. Elliott was manager of the restaurant at the time.
During his sentencing hearing earlier this year, the Crown recommended a sentence of 10 to 12 years.
While giving her decision, Judge Sylvia Oishi said Elliott used his position of authority to abuse the girl and coerce her into secrecy. Oishi noted the age difference between the girl and the offender, and pointed out Elliott assaulted the girl over a lengthy period of time. However,Â Oishi also said the likelihood Elliott will reoffend is low,Â
Elliot, who was given credit for 98 days he spent in pre-trial custody, moved to B.C. sometime after the assaults.
According to CTV News in Victoria, B.C., which reported on the story when Elliott was sentenced, Elliott worked as executive assistant to Victoria B.C.’s mayor as recently as April. The report quotes a city spokesperson who said the city “had no prior knowledge” of the offences, which “happened while he was living elsewhere.”
Follow @DShurtzHerald on Twitter