June 22nd, 2024

Man accused in group attack set to return to court later this month


By Tim Kalinowski on August 7, 2021.

LETHBRIDGE HERALDtkalinowski@lethbridgeherald.com

One of five men accused of attacking another man in his home last year will return to court to take the next steps in his case on Aug. 26.
Corey Nelson Amyotte pleaded not guilty back in June in Lethbridge provincial court to charges of aggravated assault, disguised with intent, and failure to comply with release orders.
Amyotte to be tried by a provincial court judge, and said the trial is expected to take three days. Lethbridge lawyer Scott Hadford indicated to the court through his agent on Thursday he has only recently taken over the case with his partner, James Rouleau, taking some time away to deal with personal family issues. Hadford indicated he would be ready to proceed later this month after getting up to speed on the case file.
Lethbridge police charged five city men in connection with the assault on Sept. 25.
Police were called to an early-morning disturbance at a trailer park in the 2700 block of Westside Drive West, and when they arrived they found a 40-year-old man suffering from serious and life-threatening injuries.
Police said the incident was targeted, and the victim and suspects were known to each other.
Amyotte also faces numerous charges unrelated to the assault, some from as far back as 2019, including drug possession for the purpose of trafficking, robbery and unlawful confinement.
-With files from Delon Shurtz

Follow @TimKalHerald on Twitter

Share this story:

4
-3

Comments are closed.