May 28th, 2024

Hockey referee assault case to return to court next month

By Alejandra Pulido-Guzman - LETHBRIDGE HERALD on October 14, 2021.

A man accused of attacking a referee at a hockey tournament in 2019 will return to court on Nov. 3 for further instructions to take the next steps in his case.
Robert Farrell Creighton, who was co-accused with Todd William Cross Child in the case, had originally pleaded guilty to charges he attacked a referee but ultimately struck his plea, and is expected to potentially enter a plea and set a date for trial or sentencing on Sept. 22 in Lethbridge provincial court.
Cross Child pleaded guilty in June to the charges against him and was given a four-month conditional sentence that he can serve in the community, during which he will be subject to a curfew between 9 p.m. and 6 a.m. every day. He will also be on probation for eight months following the conclusion of his sentence.
The two men were charged in relation to a three-on-three hockey tournament Sept. 15, 2019, during which a player got into a verbal spat with a referee, police reported. The youth struck the official with his stick and the referee pushed the player to the ice. A group of coaches and a relative of the player then walked onto the ice, where a coach from the opposing team was allegedly shoved down and the ref was punched multiple times by two men before the altercation ended.
After pleading guilty, Cross Child had confessed to grabbing the ref, David Schindel, by his torso and pulling him to the ice, causing his helmet to come off. The ref then went into a “turtling position,” while he was attacked. Cross Child indicated he held onto Schindel while Creighton allegedly punched Schindel around the head and neck at least three times as he was turtled on the ground.
Calgary lawyer Balfour Der, who represented Creighton in the case at the time, had originally hoped to resolve his client’s charges earlier this year, and had been optimistic about ongoing discussions with the Crown. That was before Creighton struck his original guilty plea. Der has since withdrawn as attorney of record on the case.
– with Herald files

Follow @APulidoHerald on Twitter

Share this story:


Comments are closed.