May 30th, 2024

Accused in recent shooting incident remains in custody


By Delon Shurtz - Lethbridge Herald on January 8, 2022.

LETHBRIDGE HERALDdshurtz@lethbridgeherald.com

A Lethbridge man accused of shooting another man during an altercation last month will remain in custody at least until his next court hearing Tuesday.
The matter for Bira Jamal Ahmed was in Lethbridge provincial court Friday, where duty counsel said the accused should have a lawyer retained in time for the hearing next week.
Ahmed, 24, is charged with aggravated assault, assault with a weapon, discharging firearm with intent to endanger life, possession of a weapon dangerous to the public, using a firearm in the commission of an offence, unauthorized possession of a firearm, possession of a loaded/restricted firearm, possession of a firearm obtained by the commission of an offence, and failure to comply with a release order.
Police responded to a report of a shooting just after 10:30 p.m. Dec. 29 outside a residence in the 800 block of 7 A Avenue North. A 49-year-old Lethbridge man was taken to hospital with a gunshot wound and was listed in stable condition with non-life-threatening injuries.
Police said a verbal altercation between two men turned violent when one of the men, after first leaving the scene, returned later in the day and fired a gun during a second altercation.
Police were unable to find a suspect immediately after the shooting, but about noon the following day officers stopped a vehicle in the 3200 block of 1 Avenue South and arrested two individuals. One of the individuals was subsequently released without charges. 
Investigators said the suspect and victim previously knew each other, and the incident was not random.

Follow @DShurtzHerald on Twitter

Share this story:

4
-3

Comments are closed.