June 22nd, 2024

Next step to be taken in first degree murder case


By Delon Shurtz - Lethbridge Herald on March 11, 2022.

LETHBRIDGE HERALDdshurtz@lethbridgeherald.com

The lawyer representing a woman accused of killing another woman late last year promises to take a step when the case returns to court next month.
The matter for 26-year-old Melissa Martens-Lagasse was in Lethbridge provincial court Thursday, where Calgary lawyer John Oman noted he had emailed a “plan” to the Crown prosecutor and would take a step when the case returned to court April 7.
In the meantime, the accused remains in remand custody, and Crown Prosecutor Bruce Ainscough told court he is opposed to her release. He also pointed out any bail hearing will have to be held in Court of Queen’s Bench.
Martens-Lagasse, who is remanded at the Lethbridge Correctional Centre, was not required to attend court Thursday.
Martens-Lagasse is charged with the first-degree murder of 34-year-old Megan Eekma of southern Alberta. The accused is also charged with one count of causing an indignity to a human body.
Police reported that on Nov. 19, 2021 the victim was travelling with another person to Alberta from British Columbia, and during the trip an “interaction” occurred resulting in Eekma’s death.
Police said as a result of their investigation and tips from the public, a suspect was identified, and on Nov. 22 the Alberta major crimes unit arrested and charged Martens-Lagasse.

Follow @DShurtzHerald on Twitter

Share this story:

4
-3

Comments are closed.