July 20th, 2024

No bail plan yet for accused in assault


By Delon Shurtz - Lethbridge Herald on November 21, 2023.

LETHBRIDGE HERALDdshurtz@lethbridgeherald.com

A Lethbridge woman who was expected to seek bail earlier this month on weapon-related charges is still in custody nearly three weeks later.

During a hearing on Nov. 3 in Lethbridge court of justice, defence adjourned Stacey Leigh Carlson’s matters in anticipation of a bail hearing on Nov. 8. On that date, however, defence told court it was still working on a bail plan, and the case was adjourned to Nov. 14. During that hearing, an agent for Carlson’s lawyer said more time was needed to receive instructions from the accused and the matter was further adjourned to Nov. 27, with the expectation that a step would be taken. Nothing was said about a bail hearing.

Carlson is charged with two counts each of assault with a weapon, carrying a concealed weapon and possession of a weapon dangerous to the public peace.

Police responded to a report of a stabbing at the Lethbridge Shelter in the 800 block of 2A Avenue North at 5:33 a.m. on Sept. 10. An investigation revealed a woman stabbed a 33-year-old man multiple times in the head with a screwdriver, then used the weapon to hit a 72-year-old man.

Security staff intervened and contained the woman, but when police arrived she refused to comply with the officers’ commands and was tasered. Police seized the screwdriver and a hammer in the woman’s possession.

The first victim sustained head injuries and was taken to hospital by EMS. The second victim did not have puncture wounds and did not require any medical treatment.

Follow @DShurtzHerald on Twitter

Share this story:

9
-8
1 Comment
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments