July 24th, 2024

Man sentenced for fleeing police

By Delon Shurtz - Lethbridge Herald on November 22, 2023.

LETHBRIDGE HERALDdshurtz@lethbridgeherald.com

A 27-year-old Fort Macleod man who fled from police in a stolen truck then hid in a downtown apartment building, has been sentenced to four months in jail.

Robert Harry Taggart, 27, was sentenced Tuesday in Lethbridge court of justice on one charge of flight from a peace officer stemming from an incident last month in the city.

At about 3:30 p.m. on Oct. 14, police were notified that a truck was seen travelling in the area of 13 Street and 2 Avenue North with a damaged rear tire. Police found the vehicle and followed it for a short distance before the officer activated his emergency lights.

Taggart did not pull over, however, and increased his speed when the officer also activated the vehicle’s siren. As Taggart sped off the officer noticed chunks of mud and rubber flying off the damaged tire.

The offer ended the pursuit in the interest of public safety after Taggart blew through a red light at Stafford Drive and 6 Avenue South. A few minutes later, however, police received information that the vehicle had sped into the parking lot at Halmrast Manor and the driver had run into the building.

When Taggart attempted to leave the building police arrested him, and during a search he was found with 1.4 grams of methamphetamine.

“He said that he received the truck from a friend of his…and he should have known the vehicle was not his friend’s to give,” Crown Prosecutor Bob Morrison told court.

Taggart, who struggles with an addiction to methamphetamine, apologized to the court and said he hopes to do better.

“I know what I did was wrong, and I want to learn from my mistakes,” Taggart said. “I don’t want to come back here again.”

Taggart was given credit for the equivalent of 113 days spent in pre-disposition custody, which leaves him with only a week left on his sentence.

Follow @DShurtzHerald on Twitter

Share this story:


Comments are closed.