July 20th, 2024

Sexual assault case adjourned to new year


By Delon Shurtz - Lethbridge Herald on December 1, 2023.

LETHBRIDGE HERALDdshurtz@lethbridgeherald.com

A Lethbridge lawyer who has adjourned a sexual assault case several times while he waits for disclosure, is still waiting and has adjourned his matter again, this time into the new year.

Marcus Mueller told a judge Thursday in Lethbridge court of justice that even though he is having resolution discussions with the Crown, he still needs additional information. He requested an adjournment to Dec. 21, but Lisa Weich of Specialized Prosecutions recommended a longer adjournment, and said the matter is going to be assigned to a new prosecutor, who will need time to get up to speed on the case.

Mueller represents Sean Cedric Bilo of Lethbridge, who is accused of luring a 13-year-old girl into his vehicle and sexually assaulting her more than five months ago.

Lethbridge Police Service officials reported that police had been conducting an investigation of a missing teenage girl on June 22, when they found her a short time later in a vehicle at a northside park.

Police said investigators determined the girl had been sexually assaulted while unconscious and recordings of the assault were√ā¬†distributed on social media.”

A man who was also in the vehicle was arrested and the girl was taken to the Chinook Regional Hospital.

Bilo, 19, is charged with sexual assault; sexual interference; making, printing, or publishing child pornography; distributing, selling, importing or exporting child pornography; possession of child pornography; invitation to sexual touching; and luring a child under 16 years of age.

The case is scheduled to return to court on Jan. 31.

Follow @DShurtzHerald on Twitter

Share this story:

11
-10
1 Comment
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments