July 21st, 2024

Man back behind bars after third arrest in one year

By Delon Shurtz - Lethbridge Herald on December 23, 2023.

LETHBRIDGE HERALDdshurtz@lethbridgeherald.com

A Standoff man who was arrested twice in the past year, then released on bail twice – the last time in October so he could attend drug treatment – is back behind bars for the third time.

Healy was arrested last December on weapons and drug charges, granted bail two months later, then arrested in June on new drug charges before being granted bail again in October. On Thursday in Lethbridge court of justice Calgary lawyer Kirsten Lancee said Healy was in custody again on fresh drug and weapons charges.

Lancee told court a pretrial conference was held Thursday on Healy’s first set of charges, and a pretrial conference is scheduled for Jan. 31 on his second batch of charges. She pointed out, however, she couldn’t proceed on the new charges because she hasn’t been retained on them and doesn’t have disclosure, and she requested all matters be adjourned to Jan. 11.

Healy faces three counts of drug possession for the purpose of trafficking and single counts of unauthorized possession of a prohibited/restricted weapon, possession of stolen property, and three counts of failing to comply with release conditions relating to alleged drug trafficking late last year, and the largest seizure of fentanyl in the downtown area.

Healy was granted bail in February, but placed on 24-hour house arrest. During a court hearing on June 8 Healy’s house arrest was replaced by a curfew between 6 p.m. and 8 a.m. every day. The same day, however, police arrested Healy and charged him with new charges: four counts of possession for the purpose of trafficking, one count of possession of the proceeds of crime, and two counts of failing to comply with bail conditions stemming from his drug-related charges in December.

When Healy was released on both sets of charges in October, he was ordered to reside with his surety or where approved by the court, report to the Lethbridge Police Service by phone every Friday, and notify police as soon as a bed at a treatment facility became available. Although he was under 24-hour house arrest, he was allowed to leave the residence for medical emergencies, to go shopping and attend court.

Earlier in the year the Crown and defence had been discussing resolving the charges, but at the October hearing Healy’s lawyer pleaded not guilty on behalf of his client to the first two sets of charges, and elected to be tried in Alberta Court of Justice.

Healy’s newest charges, on which he remains in custody, comprise drug possession for the purpose of trafficking, failure to comply with release conditions, possession of a prohibited firearm, and possession of stolen property under $5,000.

Follow @DShurtzHerald on Twitter

Share this story:

1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments