July 24th, 2024

Man gets time served after pleading guilty to multiple offences

By Delon Shurtz - Lethbridge Herald on January 16, 2024.

LETHBRIDGE HERALDdshurtz@lethbridgeherald.com

A man who last week pleaded guilty to several criminal charges, but then refused to admit he committed the offences, was finally sentenced on them Monday in Lethbridge court of justice.

John Andrew Krkosky accepted the allegations as they were read by the Crown Monday, and pleaded guilty to charges of assault, mischief, possession of a weapon dangerous to the public peace, and failure to comply with release conditions.

The Crown told court that at about 3:20 p.m. Sept. 1, 2023 police were notified of an incident at a fruit stand on Main Street in Pincher Creek. Krkosky, who was holding a meth pipe, approached the vendor and asked for a lighter, then stated “he was going to rob the 7-Eleven store just down the street,” Crown Prosecutor Bob Morrison said.

The vendor also saw a large knife in Krkosky’s waistband as he walked away and headed toward the convenience store.

Krkosky, 32, entered the 7-Eleven and asked the clerk if he could borrow a lighter because he didn’t have any money to buy one. The clerk noticed the knife in Krkosky’s waistband, panicked, and gave him the lighter.

“Mr. Krkosky kind of moved his pants down to show the knife,” Morrison added.

Krkosky left the store, but police found him shortly afterward in the alley behind the business and he was arrested. Police also seized a large hunting knife.

About three months later, at 3:10 p.m. on Dec. 6, 2023, employees of the Coast Hotel in the 500 block of Mayor Magrath Drive in Lethbridge were alerted to a suspicious man “causing some problems” inside a bathroom.

“When staff went to investigate they immediately encountered an overwhelming stench of what appeared to be feces. There were feces on the floor and it appeared Mr. Krkosky was smearing feces on the bathroom stall.”

Employees repeatedly told Krkosky to leave, but he ignored them and became agitated and aggressive. He eventually started to leave, but when he was told never to return, he “chest-bumped” an employee, who fell into the wall and cut his elbow. Krkosky then struggled with other employees who intervened.

“As he was walking away, Mr. Krkosky said, ‘next time you won’t be so lucky.’ “

Police found Krkosky shortly afterward sitting on a curb next to a nearby store.

“As he was being arrested, he said something to the effect of, ‘I’ll show that guy how to be assaulted when I go there the next time,’ or ‘the next when I go to kick his teeth in,’ or something like that.”

Police found Krkosky in possession of two knives, even though at the time he was on a release order not to have any weapons, including knives, while outside of his residence.

“It certainly seemed to police that Mr. Krkosky was exhibiting signs of drug impairment and possibly some mental health issues,” Morrison pointed out.

Krkosky, who suffers from schizophrenia, was sentenced to 60 days in jail, but given credit for the equivalent of 60 days he spent in custody following his arrest, which completes his sentence.

Share this story:

1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments